Meet Sophie

Hi, my name is Sophie and I am a Political Science Major from the UK. I am a sophomore here at Cal Lutheran 🙂

I initially wanted to come to CalLu because my brother was already a student here and I saw how much he enjoyed it. However, I also realized how different Cal Lu was from my other options. It’s a smaller school and therefore, I felt like it would be easier to settle here and make friends more quickly. It also felt like it would be less overwhelming especially since I am coming from so far away!

My favorite part would have to be how connected everything feels, from the class sizes to the interaction you get with the professors, students, etc. You truly feel like you are not a number here, but a person. That’s really special!

There have been many cultural differences that I have experienced here. Some of the funniest and perhaps, most memorable ones include tipping servers in restaurants (and how much), the different words people use for certain things, the obsession for coffee over tea, also how far everything is from one place to the next! However in terms of culture, California isn’t too different from the UK except for the much better weather and beaches.

By: Sophie Davies