Meet Chuong

My name is Chuong and I’m a sophomore studying hospitality management here at Cal Lu! I’m originally from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam but I did high school at Saint Augustine High School in San Diego, California before going to Cal Lu. Outside of school I spend my time making collage art, working out and recently picked up surfing.

I chose to attend Cal Lu mainly because of the location and size of the school. Having spent the most of my life in big cities like Ho Chi Minh and San Diego, I wanted to go to school in an area  that wasn’t too busy and was small enough that I could develop meaningful relationships with my classmates and professors. Since I am a hospitality major, being near a tourist center like LA or Malibu was also a perk for internships and professional networking.

As an international student, it can be especially hard to find your footing in a new environment. That’s why one of my favorite parts about Cal Lu is the community. From the moment I stepped on campus I felt welcomed and at home right away. Another thing is that since Cal Lu is a small school compared to others you really get to know everyone, including your professors.

For me, the biggest cultural difference would be the common phrases or expressions that people use here. For example, it’s normal for people to use “What’s up?” or “How’s it going?” as a greeting and it doesn’t necessarily mean they want to strike up a conversation. Another difference is that personal space is very important here. Everyone has their own little bubble and it’s always good to keep that in mind when you’re approaching someone.

By: Chuong Nguyen