Meet Mehar

My name is Harmehar Wadalia, but I prefer to be called Mehar. I am a Sophomore here at CLU with a major in Psychology and emphasis in clinical and behavioral applications. I was born in Punjab which is the northern part of India but I have spent most of my childhood in Burma otherwise known as Myanmar. I graduated from International School of Yangon which is an American based international school and wanted to pursue my future here in the States.

What inspired me to study here in CalLu was the overall community and how supportive everyone was of each other. I had talked to the representative of CLU and he had already made me feel so welcomed and that was something that stood out to me. Also in terms of my major I found CLU to be a great reputation. In addition, the faculty involved in this department really motivated me to pursue this career.

My favorite part about studying at CalLu would be how easy it is to communicate with faculty and other students. One of the benefits of being in small classes is getting the attention of the professor or even asking for help when it is needed. I also love how everyone is always engaged in discussions which helps to add onto my perspective of certain topics and also motivates me to learn more. In addition, in terms of the student body everyone is very supportive of one another and is always there to help when needed. I think that too plays a big part when it comes to being motivated.

Some cultural differences that I have experienced living in the US is how open everyone is with each other and how you will always find someone to help you out whenever you need it. Everyone is also very punctual when it comes to being on time. Another big difference is being independent and self motivated. In Asian culture, competition is very evident and us as students are always told to do better than the other person. However, here in the US it made me realize that it is okay to go at your own pace and to take your time and to focus on yourself.

By: Mehar Wadalia